Program Page

The Australian National University (ANU) has partnered with Ritsumeikan University (RU) to offer this innovative dual degree program - the Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Affairs and the Bachelor of Global Liberal Arts.

This undergraduate program (4 years full-time) provides you with the opportunity to deepen your understanding of the Asia-Pacific region through studying in Australia and Japan, and graduating with two distinct university degrees from ANU and RU in Osaka, Japan.

While domestic students can enrol to start studying either at ANU or RU, international students are encouraged to enrol and start their studies at RU.

The Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Affairs and Bachelor of Global Liberal Arts will draw on the collective strengths of both institutions to equip students with critical thinking skills, regional expertise and cross-cultural competence. It will prepare you for a wide range of careers across public and private sectors in the region and across the world.

Career paths include:

  • Government agencies
  • Consultancy firms
  • Business and trade organisations
  • Development and aid organisations
  • Media agencies
  • Universities
  • Research organisations

The learning experience

The dual degree program is taught in English and will take four years to complete as a full-time student. Students enrolling in this program are excited to live and study in Japan and Australia, to get to know the country (and the region) and to learn or advance their Japanese language skills.

Students commencing at ANU will spend the first and fourth year of their degree in Canberra, and the second and third year of their degree studying at RU in Japan.

As part of the Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Affairs at ANU, you can choose courses from four different subject and disciplinary areas: politics and government; international relations and security; conflict and peacebuilding; and history and cultural identity.

The Bachelor of Global Liberal Arts at RU focuses on the cultivation of learning rooted in the humanities and social sciences to develop your ability to identify and solve problems in a globalised world.

Students commencing their dual degree program at Ritsumeikan University should visit the RU website.


The Australian National University (ANU) offers a wide range of scholarships to students to Assist with the cost of their studies

Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.

Whether you are looking for financial support to start your studies at ANU or help to move away from home for the first time, we have scholarship opportunities for you and your situation.

We would like to encourage students to enrol for this program, and have put together some useful information to help with your decision. Our FAQ also contains answers to many queries asked by students commencing their dual degree program at ANU.


If you are a domestic applicant, please apply here or email ANU at for further information.


If you are an international applicant, you will need to start the dual program from Ritsumeikan University and apply through RU directly. Please visit the website or email RU at for further information.

OS-HELP Loan [Overseas Study Loan] *Students need to be eligible to apply*

The amount you may apply to borrow is indexed annually by the Australian Government on 1 January. In 2021, the maximum amount is:

  • $7,037 if you will not be studying in Asia; or
  • $8,444 if you will be studying in Asia; and
  • an additional $1,123 if you will be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for study in Asia

As part of your OS-HELP application, you can nominate the amount you wish to borrow, but it cannot exceed the above detailed maximum for their program destination. The total amount of OS-HELP assistance approved for each applicant is dependent on the total OS-HELP funding made available to the University. In the event of limited availability of funds, the selection basis for the provision of OS-HELP loans will be based on merit.

For further information visit OS-HELP.

Centrelink Allowance

Students who receive a Centrelink allowance (e.g. Youth Allowance) are usually eligible to continue receiving this allowance when studying overseas. In all cases, please refer to Centrelink for the most current information and advice.


Living expenses

Living expenses will vary significantly depending on each student’s lifestyle. Estimated expenses for the average student can be found on the RU website  The estimated annual living cost in Australia is AUD25,793. Information on the cost of living in Canberra is available here.

ANU (Canberra)

You will need to apply for accommodation through an online application.

More information is available here. 

Ritsumeikan University (Japan)

RU recommends students stay at the OIC G House during their studies at RU. The G House is designed for one person per room. If you bring your partner or family, you must look for your own accommodation near the campus. Cohort B students have a guarantee of accommodation in the G House. To be eligible for the guarantee students must meet the application deadline. The dormitory application documentation will be emailed to you two months before your arrival (about early January). Students who are going to live in the RU dormitory must enrol in fire insurance (JPY2,000 one time, regardless of the study period). Students may also choose to source their own accommodation.